Stop Loneliness from Ruling the Day



Can you cure deep-down, black, bottom-of-the-well, no-hope, end-of-the-world, what's-the-use loneliness? That's a question Peanut's Charlie Brown once asked Lucy.  Lucy’s cavalier response was that she could cure anything for a nickel. 
It feels like the whole world, especially older adults living alone or in long-term care settings, could use Lucy’s nickel right about now. 

This pandemic, also known as COVID-19, is fueling loneliness in epidemic proportions.  Visitation restrictions in healthcare settings and the need to continue practicing social distancing have many of us feeling isolated.  Feeling disconnected from the people we count on creates stress which can result in sleeplessness, depression, higher blood pressure, inflammation, weakened immunity, and a long list of other detriments.  Visit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to learn more about the health risks associated with social isolation and loneliness.  

We, at Capital Health Care Network, are deeply concerned about the plight and well-being of older adults.  We are also concerned about each other.  Life has been harder than any of us could have imagined just a few short months ago.  
What to do?  How can we combat loneliness during these trying times? 

Admit you are feeling lonely!  Many people are embarrassed about being lonely.  And then there are those who are reluctant to acknowledge loneliness as a serious health concern. There is no shame in feeling lonely.  There is absolutely no reason for embarrassment.  Loneliness is a common, widespread human experience.  More about shame and loneliness here.

Know you are not alone!  You may feel alone.  You may physically be alone.  But there are still good people in the world who care.  If you were fortunate enough to have a caring family prior to COVID-19, they most assuredly still love you, and they are probably missing you as much as you are missing them. In addition, you are not alone in what you are experiencing.  This "new normal" has all of us out-of-sorts and struggling day-to-day.  

Talk to someone about your feelings!  According to the Mental Health Foundation, talking about your feelings is not a sign of weakness, but rather a way of taking charge of your well-being and doing what you can to stay healthy. Dr. Edmund Bourne, author of The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, warns that holding your feelings in might cause anxiety, depression, headache, and more.  Bourne adds that learning to identify and express feelings is literally good for you.  Please consider "letting your feelings out" by talking with a trusted confidant or counselor.    

Use technology to stay connected!  Social distancing does not have to result in self-isolation.  Studies show that friendships and social connections can act as buffers against stress during difficult times.  Friends and family can provide engagement and support via the phone, Facetime, and Skype.  More about using technology to stay connected here.

Refresh your faith! Trusting your faith can help carry you through the fear and uncertainty of COVID-19. There is a growing body of evidence that suggests religion and faith are meaningful ways to cope with trauma and distress for those of us who need this simple truth quantified. 



Comments

  1. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it, I have read about DR EDAGHONGHON the great herbalist doctor who cure me from herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days! I used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! it's really like a dream but i am so happy! for the people suffering from the following diseases, Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Hpv, Infections,Liver Disease,, Autoimmune Diseases, Parkinson's disease,,Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit. I sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which I took for 3 good weeks and today am out here with a negative result. When I went for the test I was so happy after going through his medication. you can reach him through his email: dr.edaghonghonherbalhome@gmail.com or call whatsapp number:+2349056731866 he will help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. But because it is able to lay dormant in protected cells, your immune system is unable to remove it from your body,But with strong reactive herbal medication is capable of getting rid of the virus gradually and totally from your body without damaging any of your cells,natural herbs kills the virus totally not just reducing the out break. Get natural herbs cure Email DR. VOODOO at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW DR EDIDIA CURE MY HERPES INFECTION HIS HERBAL MEDICINE IS VERY POWERFUL TO CURE ANY DEADLY ILLNESS MORE INFORMATION WEB/SITE https://dredidiaherbalhome.wixsite.com/dredidiaherbalhome    

    this is unbelievable i have be suffering for Herpes Infection Dr.Edidia who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from Herpes Infection by Dr.Edidia,i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms disease and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on Herpes infection and i saw so many blogs comment of people talking about how Dr Edidia cured them.so i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me,experiencing changes all over me as the great Dr.Edidia assured me that i have been cured,after some time i went to the doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE,my Herpes infection out negative.my prayer for Dr Edidia am cured you can also get your self and friends i will advise if you have any sickness at all you can contact now:dredidiaherbalhome@gmail.com or cell whatsapp number:+2349126592869 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Age Safer at Home

Caring for Older Adults with Heart Disease